Coastal Georgia Eco-Exploration Tour
2.5 - 3 hour cruise, Turners Creek through the creeks and marshes. Travel through marshlands to discover the wonders of the Georgia coast. Narration will include history, ecology and relationship of various parts of the Coastal Georgia ecosystem.
The "Island Explorer", a 45 foot trihull excursion vessel, seats 40 passengers comfortably and will accommodate 42 passengers. Vessel was designed and built for coastal Georgia waters. Boat Features: padded seating, restroom, stereo, cordless PA system, USCG safety equipment; is handicap friendly, and more. Boat is ultra stable - no seasickness.
Typical Cruise Scenario:
- Load passengers at Hogan's Marina’s dock.
- As we leave the dock, talk about floating docks and tidal issues; expound on tides, how they are influenced and their cycles.
- We’d cruise the river and creeks towards Isle of Hope and Skidaway State Park
- Hammoch Walk, weather permitting.
Topics of discussion would include:
- The marshland ecology, Georgia has 400,000 acres saltwater marshes. A vital nursery for many forms of life in the area.
- Variety of bird sightings and discussion of interesting facts on those birds.
- Sightings of Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin (98% success rate), discussion of “dolphin” facts. Interactive discussion of information concerning dolphins and their habits.
- The river itself and the life contained in it; sharks, mullet, shrimp, soft corals, etc.
- Discovery Trawl; we haul a trawl net through the water to see what type of exotic species we can find. Usual examples include shrimp, squid, jelly fish, puffer fish, Blue Crabs, Stone Crabs and many small fish... but, you never know. We’ll talk about these finds.
- Variety of local history: Tuner's Creek,Paula Deen's homes, Wilmington River, Blackbeard, pirates, freed black villages, barrier island inhabitants and more.
- Isle of Hope, Skidaway Island State Park and Wormsloe Historic Site
- Coastal Islands, how they are formed, change and what is found on them. (we will be cruising within feet of them) Talk about Georgia’s 14 barrier islands and how only four have causeways to them, the rest are protected and unique in their own way.
As we cruise the waterways of the low country, we will talk about what we see and answer questions of the passengers, there will be times of just enjoying the scenery.
Each cruise is different, we try to gauge your interests and give you what you want. Call us with your interests or questions. We do cruises that range from 1.5 – 8 hours. From Savannah Refuge to Ossabaw Island, we’ll explore the areas you want.
Tours and Cruises offered: Girl Scout Tours, Dolphin Discovery Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Savannah Port Tours, Savannah National Wildlife Refuge Tours, Savannah River Tours, Daufuskie Island Tours, Coastal Georgia Discovery Cruises, School Field Trip Tours, Private Parties and more.